FOR some people the hot weather or heatwave can be uncomfortable, with many rushing to open their windows to let in cool air.
But parents have been warned to not make a common mistake which could put their kids’ lives at risk during the heatwave.
The sweltering weather dwarfed the temperature in tropical Hawaii, which experienced a high of 29C today.
The UK’s record high for 2022 currently stands at 32.7C, recorded at Heathrow on June 17.
Brits have been urged to look out for the most vulnerable this week as an extreme heatwave warning was issued across the country.
An amber level three alert has been activated which means that temperatures are likely to have a high impact on public life.
And one children’s hospital has issued advice to wear sun cream and light-coloured clothing and stay in the shade.
Met Office forecaster Greg Dewhurst said that much of the UK experienced a high pressure system that brought “lots of sunshine, particularly in England and Wales”.
As the sun continues to shine, it’s important to keep your little ones safe.
Hackney Police previously reminded parents of some precautionary measures to take if they’re planning on opening windows in the hot weather.
In a post on Twitter, cops urged caregivers to make sure the windows couldn’t pose a risk to young kids.
They said: “The temperature’s rising and the sun is shining in Hackney!
“If you’re at home, remember open windows can pose a fall hazard to small children.
“Ensure you have safeguards in place like window restrictions to prevent them from opening too widely and keep your home safe.”
The tip comes as an urgent health heat warning was issued across the UK today.
An amber level three alert has been activated, with level four being the highest.
The Met Office said said children, older people, babies and those with underlying health conditions must be extra careful.
Parents across the UK have been advised to limit their little ones’ sun exposure over the next couple of days.
Medics said parents and carers should make sure children are given plenty of water and are able to play in cool areas.
Parents have also been told to be wary when it comes to using water to cool their little ones down.
While you might think a hose pipe is a great solution, water left sat in a hose pipe, can heat up during high temperatures.
One mum-of-three previously issued a heart-breaking plea to all parents, after a little boy was left with second degree burns one summer.
Stacey, who runs Daisy First Aid Redhill & Croydon told how the baby suffered second-degree burns over 30 per cent of his body from being accidentally sprayed with a garden hose.
She posted the warning from firefighters.
“A garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during the summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees Farenheit [54-60C] which can cause burns especially to children and animals.
“‘Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals.'”
Speaking to The Sun, Dr Sarah Carlick, director of the Athena Programme, which specialises in the training of safeguarding children said making sure your family is prepared for the heat is key.
“If the kids are properly covered up, for example with a t-shirt, a hat and factor 50 – it could maybe prevent something like this happening again.”
To Read Daily News, click here