Boy, 14, dies after getting into difficulty swimming in lake during 26C heatwave


A TEENAGE boy has died after getting into difficulty in a lake in Cheshunt last night.

Police confirmed the body of a 14-year-old boy has been recovered at North Met Lake, in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire.

Emergency services, including police, fire crews and paramedics, were called to the scene just before 5pm.

They were responding to reports that the teenager hadn’t resurfaced while in the water.

It took emergency searchers six hours to scour the North Met Lake and find the boy.

At just before 11pm last night, a body was recovered.

The boy is yet to be formally identified but his next of kin have been informed.

The tragedy comes just two days after young Kyra Hill, named locally by other parents, was found drowned in a water park lake at Datchet, near Windsor, Berks.

In the latest drowning in Cheshunt, police in Hertfordshire today issued a statement in connection with the incident.

The spokesman said: “Following reports of a 14-year-old boy getting into difficulty in North Met Lake, off Cadmore Lane, Cheshunt, yesterday evening, emergency services have sadly recovered a body.

“Police were contacted just before 5pm to report the teenager had not re-surfaced having been in the water.

“Officers, the Fire and Rescue Service and the East of England Ambulance Service immediately attended the lake. Emergency Services carried out searches of the area, including the use of the police helicopter and specialist police divers.

“At just before 11pm last night a body was recovered. Formal identification is yet to take place, however the boy’s next of kin have been informed.”

A post mortem examination is to be carried out on the boy’s body to ascertain the exact cause of his death and an inquest into the circumstances of his death will be opened and adjourned later by the Hertfordshire coroner.

Following Kyra Hill’s tragic death two days ago, classmates of a little girl who died at a water park have paid tribute to their “sweet and caring” friend who “liked to make people smile”

The Liquid Leisure aqua park remained closed today following little Kyra’s death and a police investigation remained ongoing.

The owners of the water park were already involved in a tussle with the local council in Datchet, over claims that items on an assault course set up on the lake did not comply with regulations.

A planning inquiry was pending.

Berkshire Coroner Heidi Connor was due to open an inquest into the Datchet drowning incident and adjourn the hearing to allow police investigations to continue.

It was understood that Kyra’s family were being comforted at their home in Croydon.

To Read Daily News, click here

About the author


Add Comment

By Patrick

Get in touch

Content and images available on this website is supplied by contributors. As such we do not hold or accept liability for the content, views or references used. For any complaints please contact Use of this website signifies your agreement to our terms of use. We do our best to ensure that all information on the Website is accurate. If you find any inaccurate information on the Website please us know by sending an email to and we will correct it, where we agree, as soon as practicable. We do not accept liability for any user-generated or user submitted content – if there are any copyright violations please notify us at – any media used will be removed providing proof of content ownership can be provided. For any DMCA requests under the digital millennium copyright act please contact with the subject DMCA Request.
Contact us: