Benjamin Mendy jury asked if they personally know 5 Man City players at Prem star’s rape case

B

POTENTIAL jurors sitting in Benjamin Mendy’s rape case were today asked whether they have connections to five Premiere League players.

Benjamin Mendy, 28, is accused of ten offences in total against seven women.

The Manchester City left-back appeared at Chester Crown Court today to formally deny a final charge of rape.

He is due to go on trial on Monday accused of eight counts of rape, one count of sexual assault and one count of attempted rape.

The potential jurors, selected from a panel of 38, heard a list of people who may be witnesses or could be referred to during the trial at Chester Crown Court on Wednesday.

The names of Raheem Sterling, Jack Grealish, Kyle Walker, Riyad Mahrez and John Stones – who all either play for or previously played for City – were read out.

The jurors were asked whether they had any connection to them or knew them personally.

It comes ahead of Mendy’s trial, which is expected to open on Monday.

Benjamin Mendy, 28, denies eight counts of rape, one of attempted rape and one sexual assault against seven complainants.

The offences are alleged to have taken place between October 2018 and August last year.

He pleaded not guilty to one of the counts of rape on Wednesday, having entered not guilty pleas to the other nine charges at earlier hearings.

Mendy, who wore a blue suit, is standing trial alongside Louis Saha Matturie, 40, who denies eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault relating to eight young women.

Potential jurors also heard the names of the complainants and were asked if they had any connections to Manchester City, Manchester United or police forces.

Honorary Recorder of Chester Judge Steven Everett told them: “Some of you will appreciate, Mr Mendy is a professional footballer. He plays for Manchester City.”

Eight men and six women were sworn in to serve on the jury, including two jurors who will be discharged after the opening of the case.

They were told the trial was expected to last 15 weeks.

About 20 members of the media were in court for the hearing on Thursday, with others watching by videolink.

A French interpreter was in the dock with the defendants.

Mendy has played for Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52 million.

To Read Daily News, click here

About the author

Patrick

Add Comment

By Patrick

Get in touch

Content and images available on this website is supplied by contributors. As such we do not hold or accept liability for the content, views or references used. For any complaints please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com. Use of this website signifies your agreement to our terms of use. We do our best to ensure that all information on the Website is accurate. If you find any inaccurate information on the Website please us know by sending an email to babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com and we will correct it, where we agree, as soon as practicable. We do not accept liability for any user-generated or user submitted content – if there are any copyright violations please notify us at babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com – any media used will be removed providing proof of content ownership can be provided. For any DMCA requests under the digital millennium copyright act please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com with the subject DMCA Request.
Contact us: babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com