Barcelona threatening legal action against Man Utd transfer target Frenkie de Jong over trying to get him to slash wages

B

BARCELONA are reportedly threatening legal action against their OWN PLAYER Frenkie de Jong.

The 22-year-old Dutch midfielder, who has been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United this summer, has been urged to rip up the current deal he has with Barca.

This is because the Catalan giants allege that his existing contract has “evidence of criminality” within it.

The Athletic’s David Ornstein tweeted: “Barcelona told Frenkie de Jong on July 15 they have evidence of criminality around contract given by old board + cause for legal action vs all involved.

FC Barcelona asked him to annul deal & revert to previous terms.”

Man Utd had an offer accepted for De Jong last month, but the player’s reluctance to join Old Trafford and outstanding payments he is owed by Barcelona – reported to be £14.5m – stopped the deal from going through.

And now there are reports that after United’s offer had been accepted by the club, Barca then wrote to De Jong telling him there was evidence of criminal actions in the contract renewal he signed on October 20, 2020.

The two-year contract extension – taking him up to 2026 – reduced his salary for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons in order to alleviate Barca’s financial problems.

This left £15.2million to be paid to De Jong across the following four seasons of his deal.

Gerard Pique, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Clement Lenglet also signed similar contracts to reduce the club’s wage bill.

Barca now want De Jong to revert to the terms of the agreement which he originally signed in January 2019.

Dialogue between the club and player is also said to have included claims that De Jong’s representatives may be implicated in the alleged criminality.

The previous management led by president Josep Bartomeu, who was replaced last year, believe the contract renewal was completely legal.

SunSport have approached De Jong’s representatives for comment.

Meanwhile, reports of legal action potentially being taken come just hours after current president Joan Laporta insisted De Jong wants to stay at the Nou Camp.

He said: “He [De Jong] is a Barca player of great quality and we want him to stay.

“He has offers but we want him to stay and he wants to stay too.”

To Read Daily News, click here

About the author

Patrick

Add Comment

By Patrick

Get in touch

Content and images available on this website is supplied by contributors. As such we do not hold or accept liability for the content, views or references used. For any complaints please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com. Use of this website signifies your agreement to our terms of use. We do our best to ensure that all information on the Website is accurate. If you find any inaccurate information on the Website please us know by sending an email to babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com and we will correct it, where we agree, as soon as practicable. We do not accept liability for any user-generated or user submitted content – if there are any copyright violations please notify us at babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com – any media used will be removed providing proof of content ownership can be provided. For any DMCA requests under the digital millennium copyright act please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com with the subject DMCA Request.
Contact us: babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com