At least 23 holidaymakers rushed to hospital vomiting and itching after ‘being poisoned’ at Spanish hotel

A

Emergency services in the Spanish holiday hotspot have rushed to the site of the chlorine leak at the Sea Club hotel in the resort of Alcúdia after being poisoned from pool.

Majorca publication Cronica Balear reports that more chlorine than normal may have been added to the pool.

Hotel guests began falling ill at around 12.30pm local time (11.30am BST) after being poisoned in the pool area of the Sea Club Hotel in Puerto de Alcúdia.

According to Spanish newspaper Ultima Hora, bathers complained to lifeguards at the hotel pool not long after noon, who then sounded the alarm and ordered everyone out of the pool.

Very quickly, a number of holidaymakers began suffering symptoms including vomiting, skin irritation, and itching.

Early reports claim that the pool ducts which regulate the amount of chlorine became blocked, causing it to burst.

This triggered a large toxic yellow cloud which floated across the pool that at the time was being used for an Aquagym class which caused the poison.

Health workers have treated the affected in the garden area of the hotel, administering oxygen.

In addition, hotel staff have helped to evacuate the site.

At least 23 people have been affected so far including a “significant” number of children, with local reports claiming that the number of casualties may rise.

Diario de Mallorca reports that at least 10 children are being treated for symptoms including eye irritation and coughing.

One child, under seven years old, is in a serious condition in hospital.

A dozen have been transferred to various hospitals across Majorca.

The Majorca Fire Brigade, Civil Guard, and Alcúdia local police have been scrambled to the scene, with a field hospital set up in the pool area where the leak took place.

So far, the pool remains closed off to guests while emergency crews are in place.

The Civil Guard has opened an investigation into the circumstances behind the suspected chlorine leak.

Chlorine is usually a gas, but it is usually pumped into pools in either powder or liquid form.

To Read Daily News, click here

About the author

Patrick

Add Comment

By Patrick

Get in touch

Content and images available on this website is supplied by contributors. As such we do not hold or accept liability for the content, views or references used. For any complaints please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com. Use of this website signifies your agreement to our terms of use. We do our best to ensure that all information on the Website is accurate. If you find any inaccurate information on the Website please us know by sending an email to babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com and we will correct it, where we agree, as soon as practicable. We do not accept liability for any user-generated or user submitted content – if there are any copyright violations please notify us at babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com – any media used will be removed providing proof of content ownership can be provided. For any DMCA requests under the digital millennium copyright act please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com with the subject DMCA Request.
Contact us: babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com