Archie Battersbee’s mum vows ‘I won’t betray him’ as she blasts judge for ‘enforcing his death on us’

A

STRICKEN Archie Battersbee’s defiant mum today vowed to keep fighting after a judge ruled doctors can stop providing life support.

Archie, 12, was found with a ligature over his head after a social media dare at home in Southend, Essex on April 7 this year.

The youngster suffered brain damage in the “freak accident” and hasn’t woken since.

His parents Hollie Dance and Paul Battersbee have been battling to keep his life support switched on while he remains in hospital.

They argued his treatment should continue unless his heart stops beating.

But a High Court judge ruled today doctors can lawfully stop the “futile” treatment as it is in Archie’s “best interests”.

Archie’s parents confirmed they are seeking permission to appeal the “profoundly cruel” decision after slamming the judge’s remarks.

Mum Hollie said: “This ruling is a crushing blow to Archie and his family. With all due respect to Mr Justice Hayden, it is not in Archie’s best interests to die.

“We disagree with the idea of dignity in death. Enforcing it on us and hastening his death for that purpose is profoundly cruel.

“It is for God to decide what should happen to Archie, including if, when and how he should die.

“As long as Archie is fighting for his life, I cannot betray him. Until Archie gives up, I won’t give up.

“I am living every parent’s worst nightmare. There must be change in the NHS and in the court system before another family has to go through what we have.”

Dad Paul added: “He needs more time.”

In his ruling, Mr Justice Hayden said the treatment “compromises his dignity” and “deprives him of his autonomy”.

He added: “This court has to ask itself whether continuation of ventilation in this case is in Archie’s best interests.

“It is with the most profound regret, but on the most compelling of evidence, that I am driven to conclude that it is not.

“It is obvious from the detail of the treatment that I have set out above that it is intrusive, burdensome and intensive.

“It serves only to protract his death, whilst being unable to prolong his life.”

The decision came after Archie’s parents were granted permission to appeal an original ruling that stated he is legally dead and stands no chance of making a full recovery.

Mum Hollie claimed Archie has squeezed her hand from his bed at the Royal London Hospital.

She begged medics to give the schoolboy a chance to recover and says she knows with her “mother’s instinct” that he is still alive.

Hollie added: “His heart is still beating, he has gripped my hand, and as his mother and by my mother’s instinct, I know my son is still there.”

TRAGIC ACCIDENT

The court heard previously how the teen has shown no “discernible” brain activity with medics believing he is “brain-stem dead”.

He was rushed to hospital after being discovered by Hollie in his bedroom at the family home.

She believes he was participating in an online “blackout challenge” when he accidentally starved his brain of oxygen.

The cause of the horror is still under investigation but Hollie says her son was not trying to take his own life.

Andrea Williams – chief executive of the Christian Legal Centre who are supporting Archie’s family – said: “This is another devastating blow for the family and for Archie. Sadly, however, this is what we have come to expect from the courts in end-of-life cases.

“What Archie’s case has shown is that systematic reform is needed to protect the vulnerable and their families in end-of-life matters.

“Parents of vulnerable and critically ill children are being put through the mill at the most traumatic moments in their lives when what they need is compassion, support and respect from the NHS and the legal system.”

To Read Daily News, click here

About the author

Patrick

Add Comment

By Patrick

Get in touch

Content and images available on this website is supplied by contributors. As such we do not hold or accept liability for the content, views or references used. For any complaints please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com. Use of this website signifies your agreement to our terms of use. We do our best to ensure that all information on the Website is accurate. If you find any inaccurate information on the Website please us know by sending an email to babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com and we will correct it, where we agree, as soon as practicable. We do not accept liability for any user-generated or user submitted content – if there are any copyright violations please notify us at babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com – any media used will be removed providing proof of content ownership can be provided. For any DMCA requests under the digital millennium copyright act please contact babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com with the subject DMCA Request.
Contact us: babumanish.kuwar@gmail.com